Greek |English |Deutch |Italian

Online Reservations

powered by ibooking.gr
powered by ibooking.gr

Contact

Konitsa Apartments "Artemis"
ΕΟΤ: 0622Κ124Κ0037501
Tel: +30 26550 24774
Fax: +30 26550 24808
Informations: 6977668390
Stavros Evaggelou
email: artemiskonitsa@gmail.com

Informations

Konitsa
City Hall: 26550 22191
Taxis: 26550 22500
Buses: 26550 22214
Police: 26550 22202
Health Center: 26550 23111
Ioannina
Buses: 26510 26286
Airport: 26510 26218

Facebook Image

Search

Weather

MambWeather
Konitsa
--- °C
[Details]
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
Informations about Konitsa

Konitsa firstly appears in the books of history in the time of Konstantinos Pogonatos. In 1453 it was occupied by Turks and was liberated in 1913. In the years of Ali Pasha, whose mother Hamko came from Konitsa, the city flourished in the economic sector and was a transport center towards the Balkans and Europe.


κόνιτσα


In 1940-41 it was attacked by Italian troops and Albanian gangs at the same time, and also during the civil war it paid a high price when entire families were lost. Through the entire area of Konitsa, there are remarkable and interesting sights that in addition to the natural environment, the rich and interesting vegetation and the traditional local architecture, represent the touristic attractions of the area.

The city of Konitsa lies in the slope of Trapezitsa Mountain in an altitude of approximately 600 m. Below, lie the plains of Konitsa and Klidonia. In these plains three rives meet: Sarantaporos, Aoos and Voidomatis. The area is defined by the mountains of Grammos in the north, Smolikas in the east, Gkamila in the south, Kamenik and Nemerstika in the west. The morphology of the earth and the hydrography of the area define four natural smaller areas:

a. the valley of Sarantaporos (north),
b. the valet of Aoos (east),
c. the basin of Konitsa (south) and
d. the alpine zone.


konitsa


There are many versions regarding the origins of the toponym. According to tradition, the city of Konitsa is built on top of the ancient city of Konissos. The historian of Epirus, P. Aravantinos, reckons that the toponym came from the name of the ancient Epirus city, called Knossos by the locals. Also, a traveler named Pouqueville, believes that the name is of Slavic origins, Konitza, which means an area of horses. According to another myth, lord Koni had built a castle, the ruins of which are located above the Agia Varvara church. Thus, the city might be named after this lord.